Monday, June 13, 2011

Cloth on the Go

This past weekend Hubby, Mimi, Babyzilla and I went to a family reunion. It was our first time traveling with cloth diapers, and I was nervous to say the least. I packed some sposies "just in case," but we never used them. That's right. Our trip was 100% cloth! No leaks, no chaos, and, unlike previous road trips, no rash from waiting for the next rest stop to change a wet diaper. Even better, no need to stop at a rest stop just to change a diaper!

For travel we used a prefold with a hemp fleece insert. It works for overnight, why not in the car?  The drive to the reunion was about 3.5 hours, including a stop for feeding, and when we got there Babyzilla got passed around, so he was in the one diaper for about 4 hours. I changed him, and the pee hadn't made it to the outer part of the pre-fold. I swear, those inserts were the best $5 we have ever spent.

We stored the wet diapers in the normal wet bag, but ran out of room on the way home Sunday. Target bag to the rescue. Thank goodness it was only the one diaper.

I will say that the one down side to packing cloth was the room the prefolds took up, but it helped us organize everything. The black bag for clothes and toys, the brown bag for diapers, and the green bag for bottles/ feeding. Hubby and I could grab what we needed without rummaging through everything, so I guess it wasn't much of a down side.

Monday morning, I popped the diapers into the washer and washed them as usual. The ones from Saturday morning were a little strong, but nothing terrible. I sniffed them after they came out of the washer. No smell at all.

At first, I wanted to use all cloth just to see if we could do it. Maybe for a bit of shock value. Maybe to show how easy cloth diapers are for family members that think we're "crazy." Either way, I'm so glad we did it. Cloth diapers made the trip so much easier! And we're one step closer to being 100% cloth!

No comments:

Post a Comment