Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Project Sorghum Part 1: The Challenge

A woman in our local mommy group was giving away a partially full 5 gallon buck of sorghum kernels/ berries/ whatever they're called. I pounced on it. I love using new, real ingredients. If nothing else, we need a bucket to hold the 25 lbs of rice we just bought from Costco. After getting the bucket home, I began to realize just how much sorghum was in that bucket. It's about 40 POUNDS of sorghum. "What they heck am I going to do with this?" I asked myself. "Use it," I answered.

Since the bucket is open, I made it a personal mission to use every bit of it before the end of the year. There was just one problem: I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with 40 POUNDS of sorghum. Naturally, I went where any red-blooded American woman goes when she needs ideas- Pinterest. This is what I learned from my 1 hour of  Pinterest "research":

  • Sorghum is a gluten-free grain that grows well in hot climates.
  • It can be made into sorghum syrup. (So not happening in my kitchen, but nice to know.)
  • It can be ground into flour and used to make breads. (Good thing we have a grain mill.)
  • It's easy to cook. Very similar to rice. Cook it in 3 parts liquid to1 part grain for 50 minutes.
  • It can be popped in a pot on the stove! (Think of the old fashioned way to make popcorn.)
  • It's really good in curries.
I won't lie; The task seems immense, but it also sounds like a lot of fun. The Lord provided us with this bounty, so I intent to make the most of it. That said, if you have any recipes for sorghum, please send them my way. I be here, under the pile of sorghum.

No comments:

Post a Comment